Whether you are attempting to tune a guitar, study a new language, or simply add dogs’ ears to a selfie, there is an app for that! And for seniors who elect to age in place, the benefits of technology are often an essential component in improving safety, comfort, and overall quality of life.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, for example. While its current benefits for seniors are numerous, such as the capability to track glucose levels, make healthcare appointments, and research information related to a specific medical condition, it is actually positioned to delve even deeper into the medical care arena – maybe even detecting heart attacks and helping doctors get precise diagnoses.
Below are some additional technology solutions you might like to consider for a senior loved one you adore:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting home security system offers peace of mind pertaining to crime prevention, however, often it can do a lot more, such as notifying when sensing smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the home that are too high or low, just to name a few. They are also good for people diagnosed with dementia who may be susceptible to wandering, to alert to a senior’s activities around your home.
- Telehealth: Save a trip to the doctor’s office through the use of one of a variety of apps which allow for remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, a lot of whom are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days per week.
- Fall Prevention: One of several main factors that can lead to older adult falls is insufficient lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to boost lighting in locations of particular concern, which include between the bedroom and bathroom, or on outdoor walkways, when triggered by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior scammers are relentless and continuously changing their approaches. Seniors can enhance security through apps that monitor financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, catch any use of a person’s Social Security number, and more.
- Health Care: A plethora of healthcare needs are now able to be met without leaving home, including video chats with doctors to avoid a trip to the office, prescription ordering, and medication management to ensure meds are taken at the proper times and in the proper doses.
Contact Midnight Sun Home Care for more suggestions for improving life at home for senior loved ones – whether through technology, our knowledgeable in-home care assistance, or both! We are always available to help set up and explain technological options, and also to provide you with the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that empowers older adults to live their best lives. Reach out to us now at (907) 677-7890 to learn more about our top-rated companionship for seniors in Anchorage, AK and to schedule a free in-home consultation!