In an ideal world, we could neatly compartmentalize our caregiving duties, sticking with a routine that met the requirements of a senior, while enabling the time required to take care of our myriad other responsibilities. But needless to say, life does not adhere our desired script, and contradicting needs are frequent when caring for an aging parent. Many seniors balk at the need for help, while others may come to rely too greatly on an adult child, leading to unmet expectations and ultimately aggravation for both parties.
Midnight Sun Home Care’s aging care experts provide the following tips to help clarify expectations of aging parents and communicate successfully:
- Focus on empathy. Rather than pulling away from a senior loved one whose expectations seem unreasonable, stop and empathize. Think through the difficulties your senior loved one is facing, and how it may feel to be in his / her shoes. Then voice your sincere concern and desire to help.
- Enable each other to be heard. Initiate a discussion together with your parent, encouraging her or him to speak about how it feels to be in need of care, and what kind of care is necessary. Ascertain what the older adult’s expectations are, and then share your own personal expectations and limitations in having the capability to completely meet his or her needs.
- Compromise to arrive at a solution. Finding a resolution that works well for both of you might be easier than you believe. For instance, in the event the senior loved one expects help with transportation in accordance with a particular schedule several times a week, perhaps you can provide that assistance one day, while recruiting the aid of others to cover additional days. This provides for increased socialization for the older adult along with the healthy life balance you need.
Midnight Sun in Anchorage is prepared to partner with family caregivers with highly trained, carefully matched care experts who are passionate about making life the very best it can be for seniors. Working together with Midnight Sun allows adult children to make sure their aging parents are well looked after all of the time, whether by filling in with respite care where needed, through around-the-clock live-in care, or any number of solutions in between. Some of the various ways we are able to help include:
- Safe, accompanied transportation
- Running errands
- Planning and preparing nourishing meals
- Keeping the home clean and neat
- Offering friendly companionship to brighten each day
- Creative and highly specialized care for people who have dementia
- And much more