Do you find yourself constantly wishing for just a few more hours in the day to help you accomplish everything that needs to be accomplished? In particular, if you are a member of the sandwich generation – those who provide care for both their children and their senior parents – you can quickly become overwhelmed by the constant press for your attention. However, the tips provided in this article may very well help you prevent family caregiver fatigue and provide a spot of relief to a very busy schedule.
- Be strategic in your task planning. Create a plan for recurring activities to maximize efficiency. For example, map out where you need to go to plan necessary stops in the most efficient way, and combine projects such as washing laundry and shopping for groceries for your older loved one with your own.
- Stock the car. Pack a container of helpful items in the trunk to have available at all times: comfy walking shoes, a coat or sweater, toiletries, snack food items with a long shelf life – whatever you feel might be useful for the particular circumstances you may find yourself in on any given day.
- Don’t go to urgent care facilities if you can help it. Urgent care visits may result in hours of time lost spent in the waiting room. Try calling the physician instead to try to get a same-day appointment, in particular mid-morning, when the day’s cancelled appointments have not yet been filled.
- Organize paperwork. In the event of an emergency, it is essential to have copies of all important paperwork together. Keeping the documents in a brightly colored folder that is easily identifiable may be helpful. Documents in the folder should include: medical insurance information, list of medications, emergency contacts, advance directive, health care proxy, and power of attorney.
- Try to stay positive. Having a few quiet moments the first thing in the morning to reflect on the important things you’re thankful for should go a long way towards reducing stress and setting the stage for a more productive and positive day. Repeat as time permits during the course of the day, particularly when feelings are running high.
The most effective tip we can propose is partnering with a professional in-home care agency, like Midnight Sun Home Care of Anchorage. We can help reduce your family caregiver fatigue in more ways than you might realize, including running errands, shopping for groceries and meal preparation, light housekeeping, and more, in addition to hands-on personal care and companionship. Contact us at (907) 677-7890 to learn more about our top-rated companion care for Anchorage, AK seniors! For a full list of communities served, please visit our Service Area page.