The first signs might be so subtle that many people wouldn’t even notice that anything is amiss. Mom is extroverted, friendly, and conversational while visiting relatives and friends and while running errands. But those closest to her are beginning to detect concerns: being forgetful about the soup cooking on the stove, resulting in a scorched pan. Placing her keys in the cookie jar. Neglecting to pay bills.
As an adult child of someone in the beginning stages of compromised safety or perhaps the capacity to make sensible decisions, it’s extremely difficult to adapt to a higher amount of involvement and care – however, it’s also important to take action as soon as possible.
Much like broaching any confrontational topic of conversation, talking with your senior loved one in regards to the concerns you are seeing is likely to be met with opposition and defensiveness in the beginning. And yet, it’s worthwhile to detail the particular reasons behind your concern, as well as the negative consequences if these behaviors continue on or intensify.
Midnight Sun Home Care recommends this strategy:
- Be certain that a durable power of attorney has been appointed.
- Affirm with your brothers and sisters that the problem must be addressed, and discuss together what choices are suitable for the senior’s care as needs continue to advance.
- Remain caring but firm in your approach. Explain the choices you have considered. If she balks at the idea of relocating to an assisted living facility, which many seniors do, offer an in-home caregiver instead, enabling her to be independent and safe in the comfort of home.
- Recognize that it will likely take several conversations until the older adult accepts the need for assistance – which is why it’s necessary to begin the process without delay.
At Midnight Sun Home Care, we are experienced in assisting older adults to feel safe and positive about how our services will help enhance safety and overall quality of life and wellbeing. When your family decides the time is right for assistance, we can help with highly personalized care that can meet a wide range of needs, including:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Housework and laundry
- Running errands
- Highly specialized care for dementia
- And a whole lot more
Whether the need is for just a couple of hours each week to enhance safety and socialization, full-time care, or anything in between, finding an Anchorage, AK trusted senior caregiver can be challenging. Partnering with Midnight Sun Home Care is the perfect solution; our professional care increases quality of life for seniors and gives peace of mind for people who love them. Contact us online or call us at (907) 677-7890 for an in-home assessment to learn how to care for aging parents, and to find out if our services are available in your area.