Pick a senior, any senior, and you’re likely to hear the same sentiments: the vast majority of older adults agree that they’d prefer to spend their elder years at home over moving to a nursing home facility. However, there are a number of misconceptions about who will pay for home health care. Medicare? Medicaid? Insurance? The reality, per CPA Jerry Lowe, is, “For the most part, the clients who have home care are private pay.”
Although Medicare does cover home health care on a limited basis, if it’s deemed to be medically necessary, it does not cover homemaker services – and, most health insurance and Medicare supplemental plans don’t cover any sort of home health care services.
According to Rod Perkins, VP of insurance regulation of the American Council of Life Insurers, “Baby boomers have seen their parents have long-term care needs and weren’t prepared. And it’s not just an old-age product. You could need in-home care as a result of an accident.”
If you and your older loved ones aren’t prepared to pay out of pocket for home care, however, be assured that there are some additional avenues to explore, such as:
- Veterans’ assistance (click here to check eligibility requirements)
- PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly)
- Long-term care insurance policies that specifically include in-home care services
- Reverse mortgages
- Organizations tailored to assist with particular needs, such as the Alzheimer’s Association, the ALS Association, and Easter Seals, may supply respite care vouchers
- Community support, such as through religious organizations, the local Area on Aging, the United Way and area senior centers
The Benefits.gov site is also a great resource to find out which federal benefits you could be eligible for. Want to discover how to afford home health care services in Anchorage and the surrounding area? Contact Midnight Sun Home Care for more resources and assistance with ensuring that no stone is left unturned when it comes to providing home care for your precious senior loved ones. Our dedicated senior care providers can help you check out every possible avenue to discover any benefits for which your elderly loved ones qualify. We will help make professional Anchorage in-home care services a real possibility for you!