When Father’s Day was originally proposed as a holiday in the early 1900s, many viewed it negatively and considered it emasculating. It took several decades for Father’s Day to be recognized as the holiday that we celebrate today; one in which we honor our fathers or father figures for all of the wonderful attributes and lessons they’ve passed down to each of us. Sometimes, we forget what it really means to honor those who’ve helped lead us to where we are now. Sometimes, instead of time, we give material gifts. But, often, time is a greater gift. This year, try something new with your dad!
There are several events in the area that are geared towards dad on the weekend of Father’s Day and to make it more fun, it just so happens that this year, Father’s Day lands on the solstice! The city of Anchorage has found some exciting ways to incorporate solstice celebrations into events for dad.
- How long has it been since you have been to the Alaska Zoo? How long has it been since you have been to the zoo with your dad? June 21st is free admittance to the Alaska Zoo for all fathers.
- How about going for a hike? There will be a family-friendly hike at the Eagle River Nature Center on June 21, 2015, from 2:00pm- 3:30pm. This hike is a 3-mile round trip on the Albert Loop. There will also be s’mores on the gravel bar. Please call 907-694-2108 to register.
- The Father’s Day tailgate flea market is on June 21st from 11am-3pm at the Chugiak-Eagle River Senior Center. Goods for sale will consist of gently used items in good condition, art, crafts, products and local services. The parking lot barbecue will feature country-style ribs or chicken breast, corn on the cob, garlic bread, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon and strawberry shortcake.
- Go Fish! “Fish On!” is a phrase anglers hope to hear during the annual Slam’n Salm’n Derby. Run on down to Ship Creek for your opportunity to hook a king salmon and win cash and prizes. The Derby runs from June 12th-June 21st and benefits the Downtown Soup Kitchen. Click here for more information and to see rules and regulations.
- How about a little solstice fun? Head down to the2015 Downtown Summer Solstice Festival on June 20th. The Solstice Festival takes place on 4th Avenue between C and L Streets from 12:00-6:00pm. It is guaranteed fun for all ages, but dad could really have a lot of fun at some of the activities that are offered.
Get out and enjoy our wonderful community alongside your dad! There are many great things to enjoy and the shared time will be remembered and treasured for years to come. If your dad is not up for the events like these, think about just going for a drive to see if anything has changed since the last time he was around. Let him share his memories with you. Happy Father’s Day!!