Remember that feeling as a young child as soon as the school bell rang, signifying the conclusion of arithmetic and the beginning of the best part of the day: recess? There was an enormous sense of freedom dashing out onto the playground, leaving behind the pressure of school work for a brief period of unstructured play.
Regrettably, for the majority of adults, it is just a fond but distant memory. Yet is it feasible, and also worthwhile, to recapture the pleasure of playing? Experts like Dr. Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, answer with a resounding YES. As he points out, “Play is something done for its own sake. It’s voluntary, it’s pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome.”
The primary advantages of play, no matter a person’s age, include:
- To be connected: Especially in our smartphone-driven world today, making time to build relationships with others in person is key to our social health – whether through sports, card clubs, weekly board game events, or any other shared hobbies and interests.
- To sharpen the mind: While the jury is still out on the effectiveness of memory games in lessening the potential for developing Alzheimer’s disease, there is benefit to be gained in enhancing thinking and problem-solving skills.
- To improve relationships: The everyday pressures inherent in many of our relationships are eased when a feeling of playfulness is incorporated, allowing for more powerful ties and the ability to better overcome challenges when they arise.
Squeezing time out from a busy schedule to simply play can appear impossible. However, with some help from Midnight Sun Home Care, a more fulfilling lifestyle can certainly become a reality. We’re readily available for as much or as little assistance as necessary, providing a wide array of services for senior loved ones, such as:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Grocery shopping, picking up prescription medications, and any other errands
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Personal care assistance such as helping with bathing and dressing
- Transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and fun outings
- Companionship to engage in conversations, reminiscing, exercising, games, and enjoyable interests
- And much more
Acquire a healthy life balance by allowing Midnight Sun Home Care to help, while you take a breather. Call our Anchorage care team time at (907) 677-7890 or contact us online for more information on how we can provide your family with the kind of personal care assistant Anchorage residents recommend most!